» Plaki» is a traditional way to cook salt cod and usually includes a tomato sauce with plenty of garlic and chopped parsley. The sauce is cooked first and the dish is finished in the oven. My grandma’s recipe difference lies in the fact that the whole dish is cooked in the pot. The only difficulty is getting the saltiness of the cod right, so you need to start a couple of days ahead, because sometimes it needs longer than a day!
One-pot Salt Cod «Plaki»
INGREDIENTS for 6 people
- 1kg salt cod fillet
- 3 onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp of tomato puree
- 3 potatoes cut into cubes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 bunch of parsley, chopped
- salt, pepper, olive oil
- Rinse the salt off the cod, cut it in large pieces it and soak it in cold water for 48 hours, changing the water 2-3 times daily. You should refrigerate it in hot weather. Once it has soaked, skin it (or leave the skin on like I did, it keeps the shape of the fish fillets better) and it’s ready for use.
- Heat 3-4 tbsp of olive oil in a large, deep pot and fry the onions until golden. Add the tomato paste (diluted in 1 large glass of water), the garlic and the potato cubes, lower the temperature and let the sauce simmer until thick.
- Once the sauce is ready add the salt cod pieces making sure that they are immersed in the sauce and let everything simmer for 10 minutes. If the sauce is too thick, thin it with some water, otherwise it will stick to the bottom of the pot. Correct the seasoning and add the chopped parsley.
- Serve with loads of good crusty bread!